The city of Ploiești is located in southern Romania, 60 km north of Bucharest. The city flourished in the 17th and 18th centuries as a centre for trade and crafts, and between the two world wars the local economy was boosted by the advent of the petroleum processing industry. Between 1912 and 2001, the population rose from 56,460 to 248,688.
Ploiești is situated near the famous wine – growing region Dealu Mare – Valea Calugareasca and has direct access to Prahova Valley, the most important area of mountainous tourism in Romania.
It is also an important road and railway centre which makes the connection with other important cities as: Bucharest, Brasov, Buzau, Targoviste, Urziceni, Valenii de Munte and Slanic. Ploiești is the capital of Prahova county, the county with the largest population in Romania (almost 900 000 inhabitants) who live in 100 towns.
A bit of local history:
The town was established in 1596, during the reign of Mihai Viteazul (Michael the Brave). It rapidly flourished as a center for trade and handicraft manufacturing in the 17th and 18th centuries. The road connecting Ploiești to Brasov was opened in 1864, and the railway arrived in 1882. Many schools and hospitals were built around this time.
In the mid-19th century, the Ploiești region was one of the world’s leading oil extraction and refinery sites. The city is also remembered as the site of the self-styled Republic of Ploiești, a short-lived 1870 revolt against the Romanian monarchy.
World War II:
Although badly damaged after the November 1940 earthquake, the city was a significant source of oil for Nazi Germany. A target of the Oil Campaign of World War II, Ploiești was attacked repeatedly, such as during the HALPRO raid, and Operation Tidal Wave. Ploiești was captured by Soviet troops in August 1944.
Following the war, the new Communist regime nationalised the oil industry, which had largely been privately owned, and made massive investments in the oil and petroleum industry in a bid to modernize the country and repair the war damage.
The world’s first oil refinery opens at Ploiești, Romania:
The world’s first large refinery opened at Ploiești, in 1856-1857, with US investment. After being taken over by Nazi Germany, the Ploiești refineries were bombed in Operation Tidal Wave by the Allies during the Oil Campaign of World War II.
from Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia